Designed by French and Stuart and launched by Machiasport Boat Shop in Maine in 1947 from wood, the very traditional gaff rigged schooner charter ALAMAR has been rebuilt and refitted over the years and is maintained in first class condition.
ALAMAR was originally built for use by a summer camp and she’s retained her workmanlike interior and deck layout, over the years, in a very sea kindly and well maintained hull. She measures 45′ x 39′ x 13′ 6″ x 6′, with 22 ton displacement.
ALAMAR has a Westerbeke 80 hp diesel and 70 gallons of fuel in two tanks.
Her traditional design provides plenty of on deck space and her self bailing cockpit accommodates 7 people.
- Accommodations: ALAMAR provides comfortable berths for 8 berths in the large main cabin (all are 6 feet or longer) and 4 in the fo’c’sle. One accommodates 2 in a snug relationship. The 2 upper berths are best suited to agile children. She has generous seating for 10 at the drop leaf table in the main cabin, and has a new “Halibut” porcelinized wood/charcoal stove (with small oven) for heating and cooking. The galley is equipped to cook for and serve 12 and has a 2 burner Optimus alcohol stove, built in ice chest (located forward) with generous storage space for provisions under the galley sink, the benches, and in lockers and shelves. The head is forward to port with a classic WC Sea-Clo – manual longhandle head and basin. No shower but there is a sun shower for on deck use. ALAMAR has 200 gallons of fresh water. There are screens for the hatch openings. Pillows are provided, sheets and blankets are not.
- Sails & Rigging: Double gaff schooner with main and foresail, working jib and club staysail. For off the wind work there is a fisherman staysail.
- Ground Tackle: 3 anchors consist of 75 lb. Herreshoff with nylon anchor rode, 35 lb. CQR with nylon anchor rode, and 35 lb Navy Danforth with nylon anchor rode (lengths of chain are on board for use, if desired). Lunenburg windlass (manual).
- Safety Equipment: 3 fire extinguishers, kerosene running lights (and crosstree deck lights) plus 2 hand held electrical searchlights, flare gun and hand held flares, power horn and PFDs for 12 adults and 2 children. There is a registered SARSAT emergency beacon.
- Navigational Equipment: Current charts, Chart-kit and hand navigational tools, 8″ constellation steering compass plus a 4″ Constellation back up flasher depth finder backed up by lead line, electric log/speed, backed up by a patent taffrail log, radar, VHF and GPS hard wired in.
- Tender: 12 ft rowing dinghy
- Additional Equipment: Charcoal grill for taffrail, swimming ladder, rain gear and sea boots, clamming equipment, AM/FM radio and cassette player. Spares for engine, and tools.
- Boat Type 45' traditional gaff rigged schooner
- Rate $410(Day), $2,700 (Week)
- Berths/Berthing 12 in two cabins
- L.O.A 45'
- Beam 13'6
- Water 200 gallons
- Fuel 70 gallons
- Cruise Speed 6 knots
- Heads 1
- Displacement 22 tons
- Engines Westerbeke 80 HP diesel
- Anchor Fisherman & CQR